Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Green Thumb

I am my mother's daughter.

My mom has always had a garden. Filled with zucchini, squash, pumpkins, tomatoes, peppers and whatever other veggie she has decided to try that year. So when the back yard is filled with greens, the front garden is filled with color - purples, yellows, reds, and pinks.

Now that I live in my own place, I don't get to enjoy the sweet benefits of having a garden.
Or do I?

Last year I tried to plant tomatoes - but I got started quite late and I only had a few edible tomatoes come of it. This year I decided to get started with the best of them and try my hand er, thumb -green thumb that is! at the whole garden thing...well as much as I can living in a condo. I have but a balcony - which doesn't get nearly as much sun as I'd like. Regardless, I now have 6 planters with tomatoes, zucchinis, and a cucumber plant.

Now we will see how well they grow.

I also planted some hanging baskets with flowers, just like last year. They look great. And they did last summer as well.

Fingers crossed that come August I will be reaping the benefits of a home "garden".
If sadly, I am not - I will have to settle for planting flowers until I can get a house with a real garden.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh I hear ya. I can't wait to have my own place so I can plant a garden and flowers. Can't Wait!!

Tom and Tami said...

I have more of a black thumb. Black as in death. I can't keep plants alive very good. We planted like 10 tomato plants this year so hopefully we'll get something. If not, I'm heading over to your place.

Leah and Mike said...

Heys guys, cousin Leah from AZ, Maren I think we met once. are you two able to come to Spokane for Grandpa's temple work? I'm so excited to see some family and get out of the heat. The kids and I are coming for two weeks, it'll be nice.

Steven and Kelsey said...

I hope you don't mind I stalker blogged you guys so we could keep in touch! We'll see you Tim on Friday and Maren we hope to see you soon. Love you both!